Subject: 1.6 install segfault
To: port-pmax list NetBSD <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Eyal Lebedinsky <eyal@eyal.emu.id.au>
List: port-pmax
Date: 12/20/2002 23:03:27
DS5k200, 4.5GB SCSI-2 disk.

I wanted to install 1.6 on a new, larger disk, so just for kicks
I decided to install from the CD-ROM (rather than via ftp as I
always do).

I found that sysinst gets a segfault after it finishes unpacking
base.tgz. I ran it with filename display and could see that it
finished the pax, displayed the new pax of etc.tgz and crashed
without listing a single file.

I executed the same pax by hand and it had no problems with this
file.

The first crash was off the initial tftp boot. I then rerun
./sysinst a few times with identical failure.

I then changed to installing via ftp. This time it extracted the
kernel OK and segfaulted when it started to extract base.tgz,
before any filename was listed.

Finally, I reset the machine, repeating the installation right
from the tftp, and got the same segfault at the start of etc.tgz.

Is there a known problem? Since I managed to install before,
on another disk, should I suspect the new disk?

The is was configured as
	a: /	1,030,000 sectors
	b: swap	  527,360
	c:	8,410,200