Subject: Re: 5k/200 questions
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Henry R. Bent <hbent@cs.oberlin.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 09/22/2002 08:36:16
Eyal Lebedinsky wrote:

> I just fixed my 3max, replacing the clock module. For $20 (Aus,
> about UD$10) I bought an old Pentium mobo, with a P166 and 32MB,
> then removed the clock chip (1995-7 era, Odin equiv.) and
> discarded the rest. I remember when such a machine was
> considered really fast (and I do have a very similar one
> running my firewall now).

Yeah, I just scrapped a non-working P133 machine the other day (32MB, 2GB disk)
and was reminded of a time when I would have been quite glad to have a machine
that fast.

> 1) I want to set the prom to auto boot. I thought that
>         setenv boot "5/rz0/wscons -a"
> should do it, but it does not seem to be so.

setenv haltaction b

> 3) The monitor, a Digital GDM-1960, has a nice image in X but it
> leaves almost an inch unused on the sides and some on the
> top/bottom. Is there a way to adjust the monitor (or the xserver)
> to better use the space (maybe something like a modeline that
> xfree uses on i386)?

I've never opened my GDM-1960 but I have a VRT19-DA that is fully adjustable if
you take the cover off.  Inside are full monitor controls and a mounted
screwdriver to adjust them!  It's probably worth looking for something similar
the GDM-1960.

--
Henry Bent
hbent@cs.oberlin.edu