Subject: Re: 1.6 install
To: Eyal Lebedinsky <eyal@eyal.emu.id.au>
From: Andrew Doran <ad@interlude.eu.org>
List: port-pmax
Date: 09/16/2002 02:02:54
Hi there.

Eyal Lebedinsky <eyal@eyal.emu.id.au> wrote:

> I found that the install doco is very out of sync with what the
> install actually needs or does. So my first question, is anybody
> still preparing this document? Who is the maintainer?

It would be good if you could send any problems/corrections using send-pr so
that they don't get lost.

> I then tried 'startx' and it said it could not find /dev/fb0. I
> guess one should configure this for the actual graphics on the
> machine - I have a PMAG-C (PX) which the install says is
> supported, how do I configure it?

There is no official X server for those cards yet (this is noted on the web
site, maybe not in the install notes). However, there is an experimantal
kernel and server that you can grab here, if you want:

    http://www.interlude.eu.org/~ad/wscons/

> Another side issue, on the first boot I tried to add a new user
> but this failed very quickly saying something about not being able
> to get a lock "file already exists".

It's possible that you killed something that was modifying the password
file. Do a "rm /etc/ptmp" and retry.

> Finally, but most important, I think my machine is losing its
> nvram.

I think there will be a removable Dallas RTC/NVRAM/battery on the board.
Look for an equivalent replacement if it continues to do this. Maybe someone
else here can help you with more specific info.

> If the machine gets generally flaky (locks up intemittently) is
> there something common to look at?

Does it do this? I would start by removing, cleaning contacts and re-seating
the removable parts on the mainboard (CPU, memory, whatever). Doing a "test
mem" at the PROM level might be useful.

Andrew