Subject: Re: Logging in
To: Carsten Friede <cfriede@wh12.tu-dresden.de>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-pmax
Date: 07/18/2002 15:03:12
> I've just made it to get a 1.5.2 running on my 5000/133. But there
> are two problems I still have.

> 1. after booting there's no login prompt; all I get is, "Enter
> Pathname for shell or press RETURN for sh"

> 2. everytime I start up my system, I've to do "mount -u -w /" because
> it's always mounted readonly.  Why?

These are really both symptoms of the same problem: the machine is
coming up single-user.  The real question is _why_ it's coming up
single-user.

One possibility is that you haven't configured your rc.conf; in this
case there will be some text before the "enter pathname..." prompt
saying something like "rc.conf not configured" (as of some time ago, it
was "/etc/rc.conf is not configured. Multiuser boot aborted."; it may
still be).  Another possibility is that something unexpected is going
wrong with the startup scripts; in this case there will probably be
output indicating (perhaps obscurely) just what is going wrong.

The other possibility is that your pmax is like some alphas, in that it
comes up single-user by default and has to be told to come up
multi-user (it seems brain-damaged to me, but that is apparently the
way DEC OSes worked, and NetBSD decided to be compatible instead of
sane).  Try booting with -a, and/or see the port-pmax FAQ (a Web
version is available at http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/pmax/faq.html; the
section on "Some useful PROM commands" looks relevant here).

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign