Subject: Re: More stupid installation questions
To: Mauricio <>
From: Jochen Kunz <>
List: port-pmax
Date: 07/18/2002 09:34:41
On 2002.07.18 03:46 Mauricio wrote:

> Q1: My 5000/20 is booting.  So, when it gets to the network stage it
> burps the following:
> Starting network.
> Hostname: katri
> add net gateway
> ---------> Up to here I have no problems
> add net fe80::: gateway ::1
> add net fec0::: gateway ::1
This is IPv6, Internet Protocol verion 6. The next generation protocol
for the Internet, current is IPv4. Look at
Don't care about it if you don't know about it. ;-)

> Q2: the decstation is alive and I can telnet out of it without a
> hitch (I telneted to my sparc 20 running Solaris 2.6).  Now, let me
> try the opposite:
All unencrypted services like ftp and telnet are disabled in
/etc/inetd.conf for security reasons. If you want them, uncoment the
aprporiate line in /etc/inetd.conf and HUP inetd:
kill -HUP `cat /var/run/`
I see you already found out how to enable sshd... :-)
You know that you have to member of the group "wheel" to be allowed to
su(1) to "root".

> Q3: Where are the packages?  I know they are not in
I don't know about binary packages, I always compile the stuff myself
using the automated build system in /usr/pkgsrc...

> Q4: I noticed there is already a netbsd 1.5.3 directory in the netbsd
> site:
> Does that mean that 1.5.2 is already old and current is 1.5.3?
1.5.2 is old. 1.5.3 is only a bugfix release for 1.5.2, so it is old
too. 1.5.2 is still the latest official release, but 1.6 is close to be
released. Maybe you should read: