Subject: Re: Offtopic: need Ultrix genvmunix
To: Dennis Grevenstein <dennis@pcde.inka.de>
From: Brian Hechinger <wonko@4amlunch.net>
List: port-pmax
Date: 05/09/2002 12:11:53
On Thu, May 09, 2002 at 05:23:39PM +0200, Dennis Grevenstein wrote:

> You can classify Ultrix as abandonware, but that does not make it legal(tm)

yeah, but it's WAY abandonware, OSF/1 has been replaced by Tru64, so at this
point it's way out of date.

> OSF1 is more than a renamed Ultrix. It's a different kernel.

ok, i wasn't sure of that, thanks for clarifying.

> You would have to pay the lawyers who check that yourself. I guess
> that's why we don't have an Ultrix Hobbyist license. It's simply
> not worth paying money for such things. Honestly, most people

probably more than i care to think about.  ;)

> don't really care whether the operating for their 10+ year old
> computer(s) is licensed or not.

but it would be much cooler if Ultrix could join Ultrix-32M in the PUPS archive.

thanks!

-brian
--
Whoops, nevermind...  the compile just imploded, crashing the xterm it was
running in as well...  Thanks, Richard...              -- George Adkins --