Subject: Re: DEC Storage
To: None <hjagnew@mba1.mba-consulting.com, port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Daniel Senderowicz <daniel@bicho.SynchroDS.COM>
List: port-pmax
Date: 04/01/2002 19:37:56
>  Wondering if there was a storage expansion box sold with the same foot
>print as the 5000/2[0,4,6]0, or were the expansion units that DEC sold with
>these machine the same box as [VAX,DEC]server 3100?

The expansion boxes have smaller footprints than the
5000/2[046]0, perhaps equal to the 3100.

>  Second I was looking for help with purchasing drives for my DEC 5000.
>The drives I have purchased off of ebay have all died slow deaths and I'd like
>to purchase a new drive.  I think I'm correct in saying that these machines
>have SCSI-2 NCR controllers on board, but that is about where my knowledge
>stops.  What drives will work, any SCSI drive that isn't HVD and has a fifty
>pin connection (or can be converted to 50pin)?  Does that include Ultra SCSI-2
>or Fast SCSI-2, or even SCSI-3?

So far I used two different seagate drives, the first one was a
7GB and the second one is a 14GB with U160 SCSI interface, model
ST318405LW. They both work quite well. You'll need an adaptor for
the wider connector. Also get one of those enclosure boxes for
either 4 or 8 slots with a supply. Good luck.

Dan