Subject: Re: DECstation 5000/33 Power Supply
To: Tiago de Aviz <tiagoaviz@onda.com.br>
From: Uwe Lienig <Uwe.Lienig@fif.mw.htw-dresden.de>
List: port-pmax
Date: 09/27/2001 08:08:05
--------------04A6ECD59ADE1FA32EB38BC0

Manuel Bouyer wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 27, 2001 at 02:20:38AM +1000, Simon Burge wrote:
> > "Tiago de Aviz" wrote:
> >
> > > Did anyone ever have problems with the Power Supply of the DECstation
> > > 5000/33? Mine simply doesn't turn on anymore...

Yes, I did.
We had a strong flash hitting the local power station.
After that only one of the three running 5000/xx came back. I thought, the the
power supplys of the others were gone. I kept them for spare parts. After a
couple of weeks I had to reorganize my stuff. Because I couldn't remember which
of the 5000/xx went away I swtiched them all on again - and they were back again
- all !!
With any knowledge what protects the power supply from beeing destroyed by
flashback. But I learned, that one should not switch off an on the 5000/xx to
fast. Wait a minute after switch off. If not, the power supply goes into some
kind of protection mode, which lasts I think somewhat 10 minutes.

> > > It was on for two days, then when i turned it off, never came back. What
> > > could be wrong? Fuses? Parts? Nothing like storms happened around
> > > here... So...? I dunno.
> >
> > I had a friend drop around just yesterday with the same problem.  From
> > memory, the fan(s) started to spin but stopped almost straight away, and
> > the power LED doesn't come on at all.  He picked up a CRO that I had
> > here; if he manages to fix it I'll ask what he did...
>
> Did you have some load on the power supply when you tried this ?
>
> I had a sparc IPC power supply showing the same behavior, which started
> working again when I connected a HD to it.
> Obviously the IPC mainboard doesn't suck enouth power for this power supply.
>
> --
> Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
> --
--------------04A6ECD59ADE1FA32EB38BC0

begin:vcard
n:Lienig;Uwe
tel;fax:(+49 351) 462 3476
tel;work:(+49 351) 462 2780
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Forschungsinstitut Fahrzeugtechnik -FiF-;Computer Aided Design and Advanced Simulation Technology
adr:;;Friedrich-List-Platz 1;Dresden;Saxony;01069;Germany
version:2.1
email;internet:uwe.lienig@fif.mw.htw-dresden.de
note;quoted-printable:... have you ever seen MicroSoft users smiling ...=0D=0A=0D=0ASysAdmin
x-mozilla-cpt:;-6720
fn:Uwe Lienig
end:vcard

--------------04A6ECD59ADE1FA32EB38BC0--