Subject: Re: How to revive an old DECstation 5000/33
To: Tiago de Aviz <tiagoaviz@onda.com.br>
From: Robert F Schaefer <rschaefe@gcfn.org>
List: port-pmax
Date: 09/16/2001 16:01:31
On Sun, 16 Sep 2001, Tiago de Aviz wrote:

> Hello folks!
>
> I got a DECstation 5000/33 from a friend of mine, and it's been turned
> off for quite a while. Well, i tried to make it run, reseting the BIOS
> and all, removed RAM, and the frontal LED doesn't even blink.

Be aware that the self-test (at least on my MAXine) takes over a minute
to comlete, during which you will get nothing from her, either the power
LED or serial console, after the original two blinks.  Make sure you
wait long enough!  That's what fixed my `problem'.  :)

> Then, i got a "brand new" DECstation 5000/33 motherboard, but my problem
> still persists. My old motherboard had some rust here, some rust there,
> till i noticed the former motherboard was ruined. This one i got here is
> 100% OK, it's not possible it isn't working.

I have a number of PCs running with corroded motherboards, I can't see
how a DEC would be less reliable.

Good luck!

> Tiago de Aviz

Bob