Subject: Re: 5000/33: Boot prompt upgrade possible?
To: Reiner Buehl <reiner_buehl@hp.com>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 09/16/2001 00:47:05
"Reiner Buehl" wrote:

> I have a 5000/33 with boot prompt rev. KN02-CA V2.0m (the one that
> can not netboot kernels larger 1 MB). Is it possible to up- or
> downgrade this boot prom to a version that can netboot correct?
> If so, where can I get proms or images to burn them myself? What
> kind of eproms are needed?

I'm not aware off the top of my head if you can upgrade the proms.

Why do you want to do this?  There are two ways to work around the 1MB
kernel limit that I can think of - you can use the smallnet stuff in
/sys/arch/pmax/stand/smallnet or you can use mopd and boot via MOP.

I don't think the smallnet stuff is in current releases, but if this is
for a once-of netboot to install your machine onto local disk, you could
use the smallnet.ecoff.gz from the 1.4.2 release to get you started.

Simon.
NetBSD CDs, Support and Service:    http://www.wasabisystems.com/