Subject: Re: mixing differents memory modules in DecStation 5000/200
To: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@umbar.vaxpower.org>
From: Maciej W. Rozycki <macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl>
List: port-pmax
Date: 05/28/2001 22:40:53
On Mon, 28 May 2001, Lord Isildur wrote:

> I thought that the contiguous memory was still an issue in the DS5k2xx
> whereby the system examines what's in slot 0, and then decides that all
> slots are of that size in terms of physical space. you can't mix 8's and
> 32's except in one case: all 32's except the last, which you can put an
> 8 in, and the system will see it as a 32 with 24 megs of failed memory.
> otherwise, the system expects that your 8s are worth 32, and will barf
> most royally when it tries to access some of the memory that's not
> there..

 The firmware in the PROM memory checks what's in the first slot and sets
up the memory controller for either a 32MB or an 8MB stride.  It then
probes all slots for memory and stores results in a bitmap of available
512-byte chunks: a "1" denotes memory is present and a "0" means it's
absent; 24MB holes are marked appropriately.  The bitmap can be queried by
an OS.  Of course an OS can probe for memory itself -- an exception is
generated on a non-existent memory access -- this is actually necessary
for pre-REX firmware (e.g. on a pmax/pmin).

 What you wrote reminds me an Ultrix FAQ entry -- Ultrix does not seem to
support mixed memory configurations well, indeed.  It just doesn't see any
memory above the first hole.