Subject: Re: mixing differents memory modules in DecStation 5000/200
To: Christophe Latt <chris@vaxcave.de>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 05/28/2001 16:44:57
Christophe Latt wrote:

> Hi,
> 	I have a DecStation 5000/200 where I have 9 x 8MB and 1 x 32MB
> modules. With 'cnfg 7' all memorys seems to be recognized but NetBSD have
> some Problems with this 'strange' configuration. When I put in first slot
> the 32MB module and then the 8MB modules, NetBSD means that I have 320MB
> and crashed by 'making devices' (by installation) and whenn I put first
> the 8MB modules followed by the 32MB module the kernel hang in the boot
> phase. Is there a bug from NetBSD who doesn't like mixed memorys or is
> this configuration too strange for the DecStation? I use
> NetBSD-1.5.1_Beta.

This is not yet supported by NetBSD (nor was it by Ultrix), although we
do have plans to add that support.  ISTR that a single 8MB module after
any number of 32MB modules should work, so you might be able to get 40MB
this way.  Since you have 9x 8MB modules totally 72MB, just put those in
for now and keep the 32MB module handy.

Simon.
NetBSD CDs, Support and Service:    http://www.wasabisystems.com/