Subject: Re: TFTP Booting Problems
To: Henry R. Bent <henry.bent@oberlin.edu>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 04/10/2001 16:07:01
"Henry R. Bent" wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a DECSystem 5000/25 - a beast not listed in the hardware database, but
> it's just a Personal DECStation that ignores the video-out.

That's common amongst many models - drop the video support and call it a
DECsystem instead of a DECstation.

> Anyway, I'm having problems TFTP booting.  Whenever I try to load a file, I
> get something like this:
>
> --
> >>boot 3/tftp/nfsnetbsd.ecoff
> 888368?IO: 3/tftp, a.out err (-5)
> --
>
> I'm using Pumpkin TFTP for Windows, which lets me watch the file's progress.
> Sometimes it'll time out after a very small number of bytes (~2K), and
> sometimes after a couple hundred K, but I've never loaded above 360K before
> the system gives up.  I have my block size set to 512 bytes because
> DECStations seem to like this size for everything.  I've read that this PROM
> doesn't like files bigger than 1MB, but I've tried files larger and smaller to
> no avail.  I've even tried a few precompiled Linux kernels in desperation, but
> they don't want to load either.  Does anyone have any advice?  I'd really love
> to get NetBSD running, but I seem to have no way of doing so!
>
> In case it's of use, I have PROM KN02-CA v2.0m.

Unfortunately that PROM version is mentioned on the board list as "Does
not TFTP boot files more than 1MB".  Do you have another box that you
can put a SCSI disk in so you can use the diskimage instead?

Simon.
NetBSD CDs, Support and Service:    http://www.wasabisystems.com/