Subject: Re: 1.5-current compilation
To: Toru Nishimura <nisimura@itc.aist-nara.ac.jp>
From: Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 03/29/2001 00:20:41
At 04:44 PM 3/29/2001 +0900, Toru Nishimura wrote:
> >> It seems i must use the
> >> 'Makefile.mips' from 'arc/mips/conf' but I don't
> >> know how.
> >
> > Makefiles for multiple target ports which share the same CPU architecture
> > (then toolchain) are re-organized some time ago.  The change made it easier
> > to maintain Makefiles in phase and consistency.
>
>One more.  The change was prompted by smart cross compiling
>environment.  I have changed my builder machine to $900- shiny Compaq
>armed with NetBSD pkg collections and could not be happier.  I got the
>environment a single evening. It compiles m68k, mipsel and mipseb
>lightening fast as well as i386.  Many NetBSDers prepare other CPU
>architectures in such way.

In reality, I did it so I could compile my kernels for mp800 (hpcmips)
and o2 (sgimips) on my fastest stable mips machine: my ds5000/260.  Since
the mips toolchain is biendian, forcing the endianness of the kernel build
made sure I could build any of the mips kernels on any mips platform.

Now it be even neater if the -EB and -EL were explicitly added when doing
builds by the stuff in share/mk.  Then there wouldn't be a need for
endian-specific cross packages for mips.