Subject: Re: kaffe
To: None <mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 03/24/2001 17:19:25
mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu wrote:

> has anyone been able to build/use kaffe on pmax?  I finally got it to
> build on pmax by adding several patches to the kaffe-1.0.6 which is in
> pkgsrc.  I suspect some of the patches are good, some are probably not
> good, but i don't know if this is the cause of my problem or not.
>
> Anyway, after it builds, i try running the tests with
>   cd  work.mipsel/kaffe-1.0.6/test/regression && make check VERBOSE=yes
>
> and it fails them all with an assertion error.

So the assertion error is because CLASSPATH isn't set.  It could at
least have a nicer error message for this case.  Using the contents of
BUILD_ENVIRONMENT in the top of the build tree gets me a little further
through:

mona:kaffe-1.0.6/test/regression 154> env KAFFELIBRARYPATH=... CLASSPATH=... LD_LIBRARY_PATH=... PATH=... gdb Kaffe
GNU gdb 4.17
This GDB was configured as "mipsel--netbsd"...
(gdb) run HelloWorldApp
Starting program: /y/tmp/lang/kaffe/work.mipsel/kaffe-1.0.6/kaffe/kaffe/.libs/Kaffe HelloWorldApp

__mipsGetNextFrame (fm=0x7fffdc38) at ../../config/mips/mips.c:146
146                     unsigned short high = (unsigned short)((*pc) >> 16);
(gdb) bt
#0  __mipsGetNextFrame (fm=0x7fffdc38) at ../../config/mips/mips.c:146
#1  0x203c7efc in buildStackTrace (base=0x457f) at stackTrace.c:48
#2  0x417ef8 in java_lang_Throwable_fillInStackTrace (o=0x10119850)
    at Throwable.c:30
warning: Hit heuristic-fence-post without finding
warning: enclosing function for address 0x100e3998
This warning occurs if you are debugging a function without any symbols
(for example, in a stripped executable).  In that case, you may wish to
increase the size of the search with the `set heuristic-fence-post' command.

Otherwise, you told GDB there was a function where there isn't one, or
(more likely) you have encountered a bug in GDB.

I haven't looked any further than this yet...

Simon.
NetBSD CDs, Support and Service:    http://www.wasabisystems.com/