Subject: Re: 240/260 CPU hacking....
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Tribo <t1345@hopi.dtcc.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 03/20/2001 19:45:07
On Tue, 20 Mar 2001, Brian Hechinger wrote:

> between the LSI chip and the CPU is a connector that i don't remember seeing
> on my /240, although it has been a while since i've looked at the /240

	Yes, it isn't there on the 240, someone else saw this. We
speculated that this was for extra L2 Cache?! Any ideas?

> as far as removing the CPU's heatsink, it's got two stud/nut combos holding
> it on (almost like the Sun SuperSPARC CPUs) and if someone says it isn't also
> glued i'll see if i can dig up a socket that will fit them and attempt to
> remove the heatsink.

	I've only seen it in pictures, unfortunately. R4x00's are going
for $150+ on Ebay :(

> staring at these HUGE memory modules really makes me want to get this thing
> running.  hmmm, now where did i put those spare SCSI disks.............

	Mmm, nothing like 40 bit ECC RAM to such down the ~300 watts the
Switching Reg dishes out.

> the KN03 is the /240 and the KN05 is the /260 i believe.  this definitely has
> the mainboard of a /240, don't know if a "true" /260 would look any differently
> on the inside, although judging from what i know about DEC's thinking and from
> what i've seen of their hardware they tend to make a few pieces as possible.
> one mainboard for 5 different CPU daughterboards (i'm gonna take a guess and
> say this mainboard is also used for the /200??)

	No, only the 240 and 260 and the 9xxx rack mount models share that
particular CPU module. The 5000/1xx and 5000/xx have a different CPU
module that isn't compatible, and the 5000/200 doesn't have a daughtercard
at all, the CPU is soldered on the Mobo, and has about 60 chips on the
mobo as opposed to the like 18 on the 240/260 mobo.

	Chris