Subject: Re: Performance dive
To: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
From: Jeffrey M. Smith <jeffs@atheros.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 03/18/2001 19:16:06
Simon Burge wrote:
> I originally was going to use noprofiled spl routines for profile.h but
> switched to inline blocking of interrupts for reasons I can't remember
> anymore.  Jeff (well, Geocast) were using noprofiled spl routines and at
> the time we didn't see any differences with in-practice use (ie, icache
> misses vs. function call overhead) so we switched to better align our
> code with Geocast's.  If indeed this change has made things worse, then
> I don't have any problems with it being backed out.  Jeff?

I didn't like the inline code as the Geocast (RIP) machine had
special handling of the SR, and my goal was to keep that messy
code in as few places as possible.  Looking at the code now,
that's probably ok as it appears to only flip SR_IE.

Is the issue that the tools pick-up spl*_noprof instead
of spl*?  Or that results turned up there instead of
mcount?

Could this be improved by moving the code out of the XLEAF
into is's own LEAF named as spl*_mcount?

Or am I missing something else (it's very likely as I've
been working on other stuff for a while)?

jeffs