Subject: Performance dive
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Toru Nishimura <nisimura@itc.aist-nara.ac.jp>
List: port-pmax
Date: 03/17/2001 11:11:16
Hi, all.

I've built -current kernel 1.5S with UBC usage balancing code and ran
bonnie disk I/O test.  UBC kernel used to be simply unusable with such
the heavy weight I/O being done.  My MAXINE got stucked waiting for
something in uvn_xxx() _for ever_.  1.5S kernel behaves differently
and system is useful this time.

However, the performance figure disasspointed me.  With 1995 vintage
1GB NEC SCSI drive, I got;

        771579 bytes/second for writing the file
        1625699 bytes/second for reading the file

I well remember that write performance used to be 2 times better when
MI 53C9x SCSI driver was under debug with the hardware. It is worse
than my AHA1540B (of 1.3.3/i386) with the same HD model.

Do people have affirmatives or no?

Tohru Nishimura