Subject: Re: DS 3100 with memory problem.
To: Crossfire <xfire@xware.cx>
From: Chris Tribo <t1345@hopi.dtcc.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 12/14/2000 09:17:19
On Thu, 14 Dec 2000, Crossfire wrote:

> > I've also got a DS 5000/120 which works great. Now, the cable between the
> 3100
> > and the monitor fits right into the DS 5000's keyboard/mouse port and has
> > sockets for keyboard and mouse on the cable. Can I use this cable for
> connecting
> > the keyboard/mouse to the DS 5000?
>
> Probably - I know that the keyboard/mouse IO system is the same between the
> MIPS based DECStation 5000/240 and the Alpha based DEC3000/800AXP.  The
> chances are its the same system on the 3100 as well.

	Yes, the exception being if it's a DB-15 from a DEC terminal
(VT-220 vintage with color monitor, it'll have 3xBNC's on it to, then it
probably won't work). Possibly if it's from a VAX, but that isn't
likely. There should be a DEC part number on there somewhere.
	I know the 5000's and Alpha's use the same DB-15, I don't know if
the {2/3}100 use the same pins or not, they strike me as being too VAX
like. (VAX and terminals pass keyboard, mouse, and monitor signals all on
the same DB-15, as well as to the systems "onboard" mouse and KB
connector). I never checked to see if VAX and MIPS use the same KB pins, a
pinout can be found somewhere on the 'Net.

> > Further, does anyone in Sweden have an unused cable between a PMAG-B and a
> > VR290-D3 monitor (3xBNC)? I'd be interested in buying that one if so :-)

	It's called 3W3 -> 3xBNC, the part number is BC-29G. A
picture/auction can be found at
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1201269639
and also auction # 1201372822
> These are standard video cables, and are used on a number of different
> machines, including the SGI Indy IIRC, certain models of RS/6000, and [of
> course] the Turbochannel DEC machines.  Sadly, I don't actually know the

	Apollo's too IIRC. I would have thought SGI and IBM would have
used 13w3 instead of 3w3, but I wouldn't know.

	Chris