Subject: Re: MIPS Asym. for MAXINE Access Bus
To: Chris Tribo <t1345@hopi.dtcc.edu>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 12/12/2000 09:24:18
Chris Tribo wrote:

> 	I've been thinking about this for awhile, and I'm at the point
> where I'd like to pick up MIPS Assembly if this is a good idea. Basically
> it seems that the current driver (dtop) is a psuedo device driver that
> checks a stack for keyboard/locator data, but not an actual packet. It
> merly extracts the Source address and if it's 0x6c it assumes that it's
> the keyboard and if it's 0x6a it assumes that it's a locator device. Is
> this accurate?
> 	I think it better to have an actual Access Bus driver
> written in MIPS assembly. The DEC Access Bus documentation gives me the
> impression that we don't even need to touch I2C, other than simply
> starting and stopping the bus, and possibly when devices are hot
> swapped. This would make life quite a bit simpler if we don't need to
> touch I2C at the Assym. level, anyone know if that is true?

I've never really looked at the dtop bus thing (and probably wont until
I get the right keyboard/mouse for my maxine), but I'm a bit confused as
to why you think using assembly language is a good idea for this?  If
we're using C for things like gigabit network and ultra-wide fast SCSI
disk drivers, surely it's good enough for a serial protocol...

Simon.
NetBSD Sales, Support and Service:  http://www.wasabisystems.com/