Subject: Re: VR290??
To: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
From: Iggy Drougge <optimus@canit.se>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/22/2000 12:18:46
Simon Burge skrev:

>"Iggy Drougge" wrote:

>> Simon Burge skrev:
>>
>> >As an alternate solution, if you can find a BNC-to-VGA adapter (DEC part
>> >number 29-32549-01) you can use a standard VGA monitor with DEC video
>> >cards (that's what I'm using right now as I type this).  I know they
>> >were available in Australia recently (last six months or so) for about
>> >$AUS40.
>>
>> Does such a beast simply add together the BNC connectors into a D15HD, or
>> does it extract sync signals and so on as well? Does anyone have the exact
>> requirements for a monitor to work with a DECstation?

>I'll admit to knowing almost zero about VGA - do it have separate
>horizontal- and vertical-sync?  It certainly looks like a completely
>passive device.  Unfortunately my multimeter probe doesn't fit into
>the VGA socket holes so I can't tell you what goes to which pin...

I am perfectly ignorant with regard to DEC video (my Maxine and 200 have been
running headless ever since I got them), but IIRC, it supplies sync on green,
which is a no-no on many VGA monitors (though common on the Mac). There is
provision for separate sync signals on the VGA connector, but it will also
accept a single composite sync on the HSYNC pin. I'm not certain as to how
this is implemented IRL.

--
En ligne avec Thor 2.6.

JavaScript has been developed to show scrolling messages on your pages. It
should have been named ScrollerScript, but as it came out more or less the
same time when the hype on a programming language called Java (poor man's
SmallTalk raped by C++ which is expected to solve all problems of the world,
including traffic, pollution and AIDS) started, it's creators decided to use
the term ``Java'' in it's name, too.
 -- README for the HTML preprocessor "hsc"