Subject: PMAG-J
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Gregor McEwan <mcewan@dstc.monash.edu.au>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/10/2000 09:23:30
Hi,

I acquired a "Maxine" DS5000/25 some time ago but due to several distractions
haven't done anything with it until now.

My problem is that it has a PMAG-J card in it.  From what I understand after
reading the NetBSD web pages and the archives of this list, this card is not
supported in the current pmax port.  I also get the impression that it's not
likely to be supported any time soon.  After I found this out I considered
installing Linux but the pmax port of Linux doesn't support this card either.

It currently has Ultrix installed (unsure of version - 4.4 maybe?) but I don't
have any of the passwords so I can watch it boot to the console or even all
the way to an X login screen but I can't do anything with it.

So I have three questions that maybe someone can help me with:
(1)  Is anyone working on support for the PMAG-J card, meaning I can just wait
a little longer and all my problems will be solved?
(2)  If no-one is looking at this, how hard would it be for me to add support,
keeping in mind that I've never written a device driver before (but I am a
reasonably competent programmer)?  I am willing to spend time learning but if
it's really tricky then I'm not sure if I'll make it.  Any suggestions and
advice welcome.
(3)  As a last resort, does anyone know how I can get root access for my
Ultrix installation given that I don't even have a user account?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

Gregor McEwan
Research Scientist		email: mcewan@dstc.edu.au
DSTC Pty Ltd		phone: +61 3 9903 1150

DSTC is the Australian W3C Office