Subject: Re: What to choose??
To: Michael =?iso-8859-1?Q?B=E4rwolff?= <Michael.Baerwolff@lycosmail.com>
From: Chris Tribo <t1345@hopi.dtcc.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/06/2000 13:28:23
	Depends on what you want. If you want something almost as small
and lightweight as twm (the default), try amiwm from pkgsrc. It's supposed
to be an Amiga Workbench lookalike, and it seems to do the job well enough
for me. Just modify the default Xsession for xdm to start a few xdm
windows with scrolling enabled and a few other settings like blink window
on error instead of trying a beep (since LK-501's can't beep yet).

	As far as browsers go, depends on what you want to do with
it. Mozilla won't compile last I heard. Grail is ok (based on Tcl/Tk, so
you would need to download other packages), it does however have some
limited Java support. NCSA Mosaic is a decent browser but: can't do
formatting hardly at all, no Java, no JavaScript, needs xv for additional
image types and external viewing. Isn't really a clear winner at all, and
Grail is still in 0.x version.

	Unless someone here has some spare SIMMs, check Ebay.

	Chris