Subject: Re: Problem with dd
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Toru Nishimura <nisimura@itc.aist-nara.ac.jp>
List: port-pmax
Date: 09/30/2000 12:44:50
> I decided for installation via disk image. My helper system is a x86
> with SuSe-Linux. I started fdisk, added a new partition, ...
>
>      [ ... snip ... ]
>
> I switched my computer of and put the SCSI disk into my DECstation
> 5000/33, switched on. The disk is present as rz5. Now I typed in "boot
> 3/rz5/netbsd" and I saw the message "?IO: 3/rz5/netbsd  (bb rd)". I
> don't know what (bb rd) means, but I could imagine, that it's something
> with boot block.

By using fdisk/i386, you made a disk layouted specifically usable with
PC (and PC convention emulating systems), not for other type of
hardware platforms and operating systems.  It's sufficient for you
just to make sure dd the diskimage from the beginning of the target
disk.  No fdisk is required.

Tohru Nishimura