Subject: Re: PMAGB-B Scrolling/Clearing
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Toru Nishimura <nisimura@itc.aist-nara.ac.jp>
List: port-pmax
Date: 07/21/2000 09:01:49
>> SFB hardware accelerated WSCONS video console has been available on
>> DEC3000.  People expressed satisfaction with the supreme scroll
>> performance.
>
> Is this for real?? Actualy, what I really miss is the fast scrolling of
> the old Ultrix Xws (?) X server - it was great!!

SFB accelerated X11 server was never been written so far.  It's depressing
to know that Digital did not include their hardware accelerated portion of
Xserver code in standard MIT distribution.

> NetBSD's X performance is
> extremely sluggish by comparison. Do the DEC3000 folks have X patches to
> take advantage of accelerated scrolling??

Roland Dowdeswell made TGA accelerated Xserver for PCI Alphas.  TGA/SFB
acceleration could be merged in a single source code, but never been
realized.

Tohru Nishimura