Subject: Re: livingdead fans in DS5000/125 and overheating
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Toru Nishimura <nisimura@itc.aist-nara.ac.jp>
List: port-pmax
Date: 07/09/2000 17:39:46
> About the DS's overheating sensor: I got a message on the console
> running ultrix, something like this:  "system overheating,
> shutdown recommended" I don't remember the exact words. The machine
> had been running for perhaps half an hour (without fans!)
>
> Is this warning-feature implemented in netbsd?

Ultrix reports power supply overheating like as;

$ strings --print-file-name kn*.o | egrep eating
kn02.o: System Overheating - suggest immediate shutdown and power-off
kn02ba.o: System Overheating - suggest immediate shutdown and power-off
kn03.o: System Overheating - suggest immediate shutdown and  power-off

NetBSD/pmax trys to detect power supply overheat condition.  I'm not
sure the code works in practice, though.

Tohru Nishimura
Nara Institute of Science and Technology