Subject: Re: Of Mice and DECstation 500/240's...
To: John Maier , <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Chris <talon16m@hotmail.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 07/05/2000 18:31:44
on 7/5/00 1:28 PM, John Maier at johnam@kemper.org wrote something like:

>I have my DECstation churning along quite nicely and decided to being working
> on X.
> xinit will start X (twm works etc.) but the mice doesn't work!  The keyboard
> works and during boot, the system check doesn't complain about not finding the
> mouse.

    Try using startx to start a single X session or type xdm to start a
multi-user login based system. (XDM can also be started at boot by
/etc/rc.conf)

> Of course if I disconnect the mouse and I do a power on boot, the POST
> complains, so the system DOES see the mouse.
> Am I missing something?

    It's probably just that since this is a mildly hacked version of XF86,
it could be looking for a mouse device that isn't there. If neither startx
or xdm work, then there is a problem.

    Chris

P.S. I'm sure the other users on the list would appreciate you not posting
HTML messages if possible.