Subject: Re: DecSystem 5500
To: Chris Tribo <t1345@hopi.dtcc.edu>
From: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 07/05/2000 10:38:34
At 08:18 AM 7/5/00 -0400, Chris Tribo wrote:
>         Heh, well unfortunately the 5500 has a double wammie support
>problem. I haven't heard a lick about DSSI support on port-vax in some
>months now, I can only assume that it has stopped. Last I heard there was
>still debate as to wether DSSI was spoken on CI or MSCP or
>something. AFAIK there is nothing for DSSI in port-vax or current, and
>defnitely nothing for port-pmax.

DSSI support is coming along slowly, this is not the same as stopped even
though they mimic each other from time to time. There is more evidence that
it is an MSCP protocol but further testing will confirm this (I finally got
an MSCP manual)

>         The other problem is that a PI Q bus driver hasn't been written in
>to port-pmax yet. I don't think much can be done until someone moves it
>over to pmax. If you attach some SCSI drives to it, it should be somewhat
>useable though. I don't think pmax has SGEC ethernet support either. :(

At least SGEC ethernet is already in the VAX port.

>Not that I'm saying no one would be interested, but as it stands, a remote
>development system at this time won't be too helpful until some drivers
>get ported over.

And I've got the pieces for one.
--Chuck