Subject: Re: DecSystem 5500
To: Chris Tribo <t1345@hopi.dtcc.edu>
From: Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 07/05/2000 08:30:53
At 08:18 AM 7/5/2000 -0400, Chris Tribo wrote:
>On Wed, 5 Jul 2000, Christian Riede wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > anyone interested in a DECSystem 5500 with 64MB and two 1.3GB-DSSI-Disks
> > for NetBSD developement? The System is located in Karlsruhe, Germany and
> > I could arrange for network connectivity and an account on a system with
> > serial port connected to the 5500's console port.
> >
> > Gruss, Christian Riede
>
>         Heh, well unfortunately the 5500 has a double wammie support
>problem. I haven't heard a lick about DSSI support on port-vax in some
>months now, I can only assume that it has stopped. Last I heard there was
>still debate as to wether DSSI was spoken on CI or MSCP or
>something. AFAIK there is nothing for DSSI in port-vax or current, and
>defnitely nothing for port-pmax.

I am currently working on getting the MSCP specification released to
myself under a NDA as well as the SSP (System Storage Port) spec.
According to Richie Lary, those are the only two specs needed to talk any
MSCP aware device.  So yes, DSSI is MSCP over the DSSI SSP.  It is no
different from MSCP over CI to an HSC.  Indeed a DSSI IDE (individual
drive element) looks like an HSC + disk drive) to the host.

>         The other problem is that a PI Q bus driver hasn't been written in
>to port-pmax yet. I don't think much can be done until someone moves it
>over to pmax. If you attach some SCSI drives to it, it should be somewhat
>useable though. I don't think pmax has SGEC ethernet support either. :(
>Not that I'm saying no one would be interested, but as it stands, a remote
>development system at this time won't be too helpful until some drivers
>get ported over.

The two drivers minimally required are the console driver and the SGEC.
After that you can go diskless.