Subject: Re: DS3100
To: Chris <talon16m@hotmail.com>
From: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.msu.montana.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 06/26/2000 10:43:34
On Mon, 26 Jun 2000, Chris wrote:

>     This would seem to indicate that the NVRAM has been reset (if it has
> one) or the CMOS battery is dead (I've never seen the inards of 3100 so I
> don't know if it has one) In either case, all the settings have been erased.

  As old as the 3100 is, the battery is almost certainly dead unless has
been repleced in the recent past.  [My 3100 has that problem, but I
don't use it often enough to make it worthing fixing yet.]

> try show dev
> and then boot dkaXXX to see if there is an OS on a certain drive.

  Huh?

KN01 V7.01
08-00-2b-1a-91-6e
0x01800000
>> show dev
?47a path: show
?43e ill cmd: show

>     The ROM monitor system on 2100's and 3100's is nearly identical to a
> VAX. So cnfg, etc. won't work like they do on the rest of the DEC MIPS line.
> typing ? or help should get you started beyond the above.

  None of the ROM monitors I've seen on the 3100 (or any other MIPS
DECstations)  is anything close to a VAX, and it certainly doesn't know
anything about DK* devices.

  To show the known disk devices, the command to use is 'scsi pb' [scsi
probe bus, I would guess].

  The boot command is 'boot -f rz(0,n,0)/netbsd' - where 'n' is the disk
scsi id.  The boot command 'auto -f rz(0,n,0)/path' will boot into
multiuser mode.  If the '-f path' is missing, it will use the contents of
the "bootpath" environment variable.

--
Michael L. Hitch			mhitch@montana.edu
Computer Consultant