Subject: Re: monitors on pmaxes?
To: None <port-pmax@mail.netbsd.org>
From: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.msu.montana.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 06/22/2000 14:02:42
On Thu, 22 Jun 2000, Adrian N Drury wrote:

> Why bother compiling it? I've forgotten what version it is, but...
> ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/1.3.3/pmax/www/mozilla-19981008.
> tgz

  This is a very old version, and rather buggy - it crashed on me once in
a while.

  I'm not sure what the status of the newer version in pkgsrc is in regard
to the pmax.  I think it needs a lot more "stuff" than I've got on any of
my DECstations at the moment, so I'm not even tempted to try to compile
it.

> I grabbed it and used it on a 5000/240 with maybe 80M RAM a few months
> ago. It was not fast, but it was acceptable. It was kind of neat to
> watch it start up and keep resizing window components as it added the
> button bars, etc :-) Speaking of starting up, it does take its own sweet
> time; I seem to remember 15+ seconds to get a window on the screen.

  It's very, very big;  I suspect it's doing lots and lots of paging while
it's initializing everything in the world (its world that is).

--
Michael L. Hitch			mhitch@montana.edu
Computer Consultant