Subject: DS3100 questions
To: 'port-pmax@netbsd.org' <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Brian Hechinger <BHechinger@half.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 06/21/2000 01:37:59

------_=_NextPart_001_01BFDB42.DBB8D070

several years ago i attempted to install NetBSD on a VS2000, never was
successful, then i lost the VS2000 in a fire (as well as my 11/730 and a
bunch of sun2/sun3 hardware, still upset about that).  been living abroad
for a while, so i haven't had the chance to work with anything until
recently.

picked up a DECstation 3100 on eBay, Model PM20A-CB.  not sure what the
model means, it has two disks in it, but i'd have to pull the case off
(again) to say what they are.  16MB RAM.  pulled out the VFB02 framebuffer
chip and shorted pins 2&4 on the mouse port since i don't have a keyboard
and monitor for this thing.  besides the two hard disks, it doesn't have any
other drives.  enough background, onto the questions:

where can i find a serial cable for this thing?  preferably something that
ends in an RJ45 RS-232 would be nice, although a DB9 isn't out of the
question.

i can netboot this thing off of my SUN to get it going, but can i install
the OS that way?  (i don't see why not) or is there a tape drive/cd-rom
drive i can boot off of (i'd rather go with netbooting if my current cd-rom
drive won't work [plextor, uhm, ahhhh, the one that is also known as the
SunCD32, can't think of the plextor model number off the top of my head])

hmmm, i think that's all the questions i have for now, although i could have
sworn i had more.  ahh, it's late, i'm way too tired, i'll probably think of
more questions tomorrow.

-brian

ps: if anyone needs the VFB02 let me know, i seriously doubt i'll ever get a
head on this thing, also i have a bunch of dual and quad width cards from
the 730 as well as some dual width CPU cards and whatnot from a, ahh,
LINC-11/12, MINC-11/12 (don't remember what they were called off hand, the
things that were 4u, 19" PDP-12's built for data collection, had one or two
GPIBs in them, weird boxes, never got them powered up either) that i just
happened to have in my office before the fire, if you are looking for
anything in particular let me know and i'll go through them.  i don't know
if any of the QBus stuff works since i never applied power to the 730 before
it's death.

sorry, i'm rambling, which is a good indication that i should go to bed.

------_=_NextPart_001_01BFDB42.DBB8D070

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
5.5.2651.75">
<TITLE>DS3100 questions</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>several years ago i attempted to install NetBSD on a =
VS2000, never was successful, then i lost the VS2000 in a fire (as well =
as my 11/730 and a bunch of sun2/sun3 hardware, still upset about =
that).&nbsp; been living abroad for a while, so i haven't had the =
chance to work with anything until recently.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>picked up a DECstation 3100 on eBay, Model =
PM20A-CB.&nbsp; not sure what the model means, it has two disks in it, =
but i'd have to pull the case off (again) to say what they are.&nbsp; =
16MB RAM.&nbsp; pulled out the VFB02 framebuffer chip and shorted pins =
2&amp;4 on the mouse port since i don't have a keyboard and monitor for =
this thing.&nbsp; besides the two hard disks, it doesn't have any other =
drives.&nbsp; enough background, onto the questions:</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>where can i find a serial cable for this thing?&nbsp; =
preferably something that ends in an RJ45 RS-232 would be nice, =
although a DB9 isn't out of the question.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>i can netboot this thing off of my SUN to get it =
going, but can i install the OS that way?&nbsp; (i don't see why not) =
or is there a tape drive/cd-rom drive i can boot off of (i'd rather go =
with netbooting if my current cd-rom drive won't work [plextor, uhm, =
ahhhh, the one that is also known as the SunCD32, can't think of the =
plextor model number off the top of my head])</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>hmmm, i think that's all the questions i have for =
now, although i could have sworn i had more.&nbsp; ahh, it's late, i'm =
way too tired, i'll probably think of more questions =
tomorrow.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>-brian</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>ps: if anyone needs the VFB02 let me know, i =
seriously doubt i'll ever get a head on this thing, also i have a bunch =
of dual and quad width cards from the 730 as well as some dual width =
CPU cards and whatnot from a, ahh, LINC-11/12, MINC-11/12 (don't =
remember what they were called off hand, the things that were 4u, =
19&quot; PDP-12's built for data collection, had one or two GPIBs in =
them, weird boxes, never got them powered up either) that i just =
happened to have in my office before the fire, if you are looking for =
anything in particular let me know and i'll go through them.&nbsp; i =
don't know if any of the QBus stuff works since i never applied power =
to the 730 before it's death.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>sorry, i'm rambling, which is a good indication that =
i should go to bed.</FONT>
</P>

</BODY>
</HTML>