Subject: Re: X Server Configuration
To: Markus Moser <moses@landshut.org>
From: Simon Richter <Simon.Richter@phobos.fs.tum.de>
List: port-pmax
Date: 06/17/2000 19:06:47
On Sat, 17 Jun 2000, Markus Moser wrote:

> Most things work fine when I invoke "X -indirect <chooser-host>" except
> for some X server settings I wrote into Xsetup_0, namely:

The Xsetup script is executed by xdm when xdm starts to manage a display,
not when it starts up a server. Thus you need to make these settings in
the Xsetup script of the host that sends the login prompt.

Besides, you should take care to distinguish between different types of
setup tasks: Hardware differences (should be handled server-side, without
anyone calling xmodmap, as this affects any terminal connecting, not only
the ones with the special hardware), site policy (Xsetup script, but think
about it twice before you set up anything there, as all your users have to
live with it) and user preference (.xsession).

   Simon

--
PGP public key available from http://phobos.fs.tum.de/pgp/Simon.Richter.asc
 Fingerprint: 10 62 F6 F5 C0 5D 9E D8  47 05 1B 8A 22 E5 4E C1