Subject: Re: Minimal 5000/25 and 5000/200 compatible kernel config
To: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: port-pmax
Date: 06/15/2000 19:26:08
On Thu, 15 Jun 2000, NetBSD Bob wrote:

> # 	$NetBSD: GENERIC,v 1.39.2.2 1999/04/26 16:03:50 perry Exp $
> #
> # Distribution kernel (any model) kernel config file
> #
> include		"arch/pmax/conf/std.pmax"
> maxusers	64
>
> How many users are really needed?  I was figuring 8 would probably do?
> I would expect it could be cut down to a root and user login of 2?

	maxuesrs is used to size various kernel tables, based on the
	number of processes and various other things. If you have a
	low amount of memory you might want to set maxusers == RAM(MB).

> options 	MIPS1		# R2000/R3000 CPUs
> options 	DEC_3MAX	# DECstation 5000/200 (kn02)
> options 	DEC_MAXINE	# Personal DECstation 5000/xx (kn02ca)
> options 	"NKMEMCLUSTERS=1024"	# 4K pages in kernel malloc pool
>
> What should NKMEMCLUSTERS be adjusted to for a minimal kernel or for
> a kernel optimised for speed?  I would assume the 1024 is a generic
> compromise?

	Uh, pass :)

> options 	SCSIVERBOSE		# Verbose SCSI errors
>
> I can get rid of the verbosity after testing.

	Yup - its handy to keep around if you later have problems,
	but you can always boot a GENERIC kernel if you really need to.

> options 	NTP			# network time protocol
>
> Is NTP really needed?

	Read options(4). Only if you run ntp and would like your clock
	to be accurate.

> file-system 	FFS		# fast filesystem with user and group quotas
> file-system 	CD9660		# ISO 9660 + Rock Ridge file system
>
> FFS is required, and I like the ability to read a CD if necessary, but
> the ISO FS could be removed.

	Unless your CDs are using ISO 9660 filesystems (virtually all do,
	except specially cut versions for a given unix OS).

> options 	INET		# Internet protocols
> options 	"TCP_COMPAT_42"	# compatibility with 4.2BSD TCP/IP
> options 	IPFILTER_LOG	# ipmon(8) log support
>
> What are the pros and cons of keeping or removing the COMPAT and IPFILTER
> options?

	If you want to use ipnat/ipmon, keep the IPFILTER. You should be
	able to distch TCP_COMPAT_42 without worry.

> options 	"HZ=256"	# RTC rate required
>
> Can someone explain what this is doing?

	How often the system updates its clock/timeslices.

> options 	NFS_BOOT_DHCP	# superset of BOOTP
>
> This can probably be removed?

	Only needed if you plan to have your root filesystem via NFS.

> config		netbsd		root on ? type ?
> config		nfsnetbsd	root on ? type nfs
>
> nfsnetbsd can probably be removed if no nfs capability is required?

	Yes.

> mainbus0	at root
> cpu*		at mainbus0
> include 	"arch/pmax/conf/tc.std"
> include 	"arch/pmax/conf/builtin.ioasic"
> include 	"arch/pmax/conf/builtin.maxine"
> include 	"arch/pmax/conf/builtin.3max"
> oldscsibus*	at asc?
> include 	"arch/pmax/conf/scsi.pmax"
>
> How much of the include config scripts can be stripped out?
> I would assume that would have to be hand stripped to a minimal
> configuration, file by file.  My only consideration here is that
> the kernel run on both the 5000/25 and the 5000/200 machines,
> so I only have to build once, and can clone drives to install on
> the other machine.

	look at the output from dmesg, include the superset of devices.

> pseudo-device	loop		 1	# network loopback
> pseudo-device	sl		 4	# serial-line IP ports
> pseudo-device	ppp		 2	# serial-line IP ports
> pseudo-device	pty		64	# pseudo ptys
> pseudo-device	bpfilter	16	# packet filter ports
> pseudo-device	ipfilter		# IP filter, NAT
> pseudo-device	vnd		 4	# virtual disk ick
> pseudo-device	ccd		 4	# concatenated disks
> pseudo-device	rasterconsole	 1 	# NB: raster console requires "fb"
> pseudo-device	fb		 1	# up to 3 framebuffers
> pseudo-device	rnd			# /dev/random and in-kernel generator
>
> What pseudo devices are really required and why, and what can be
> stripped out?

	sl if you do not need to run slip
	ppp if you do not need pppd
	bpfilter if you do not want tcpdump, dhcpd, bootparamd etc (prob
	best to keep).
	ccd if you're not concatenating disks,
	etc

		David/absolute