Subject: Re: Opening the case on a Personal DECstation...
To: Peter C. Wallace <pcw@mesanet.com>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 06/14/2000 21:13:26
> >   I just got a Personal DECstation off of ebay and can't seem to get the
> > case open.  I took off the two screws at the top in the back and one near
> > the power switch.  Is there something else that needs to be done, or is it
> > just exceptionally stuck?
> >
> Its just stuck, you only need to remove 2 screws, but the back end of the
> cover wedges pretty hard against the case sometimes... If it has the
> standoffs on the back, you can hook your fingers on the standoffs and push
> on the cover lips with both thumbs, that usually works for me...

Also, if you look carefully at the back of the case, there are two small
horizontal slots just under the lip of the top of the case.  They were
designed for a small unobtainium tool from DEC that prys open the case top
about 1 cm.  You can use a small thin-bladed flat screwdriver to accomplish
the same thing.  Also, the same screwdriver can be inserted at the very
outside corners of the case, at the back to finish lifting up the top.
Be CAREFUL or the case and screwdriver can be damaged.

                            back view
                           top of case
||      -                                                -       ||  Corner
|      slot                                             slot      |  slot

Good Luck

Bob