Subject: Re: LK-501 & KN02-CA v2.0m MAXine problems in 1.4X
To: Toru Nishimura , <port-pmax@mail.netbsd.org>
From: Chris Tribo <talon16m@hotmail.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 04/28/2000 00:46:02
on 4/28/00 12:08 AM, Toru Nishimura at nisimura@itc.aist-nara.ac.jp wrote
something like:

>> Perhaps a special purpose register on
>> the I2C master (and in this case only) controller? That being the case,
>> could we not just read the values? I'm assuming the trick is knowing
>> if/where they are stored.
>
> i2c detail is invisible.  Control/data protocol is defined by
> ACCESS.bus.  ULTRIX runs complicated work to send/receive ACCESS.bus
> packets back and forth with great efforts.
>
> Tohru Nishimura

    Then how is the PROM exec able to talk with a.b. devices? Are the same
instructions that Ultrix uses embedded in the EEPROM? I find it hard to
believe that DEC would have gone through all the trouble of redesigning
devices, hardware, and OS all for i2c/a.b. if a.b. were so difficult and
troublesome to use. (Even they couldn't get it to work right all the time
under Ultrix 4.3)

    Chris

--

Murphy was an optimist.