Subject: re: netbooting problems
To: port-pmax@netbsd.org, Chris Tribo <talon16m@hotmail.com>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: port-pmax
Date: 04/21/2000 11:41:32

   IMHO Netbooting is worthless.

netbooting is #1!!!!

i netboot my mp3-playing shark which sits in my lounge room next to my
stereo.  if it had disks and fans and stuff, i'd hate it!  as it is,
i only hate the noisy U10 in my lounge room... i used to have a netbooted
ELC in there as well -- 2 computers no noise, it was great.

tell me no noise is worthless!

netbooting is also *extremely* useful for kernel hacking.  saves the
"boot working system, wait for it, copy across kernel, reboot it"
sequence.  you just "boot net" (on a sparc).  and it doesn't take 20x
longer.  indeed, on the shark, it only takes a couple of seconds.