Subject: Re: No output display on DS3100 current kernel
From: Erik Bertelsen <erik@mediator.uni-c.dk>
List: port-pmax
Date: 04/05/2000 17:31:12
On Wed, Apr 05, 2000 at 03:03:05AM +0000, NetBSD Mailing list wrote:
> Previously discussed:
>
> > > root file system type: ffs
> > > <At this point output to the monitor ceases, but the kernel continues to
> > > function>.
> > >
> > > Has something changed in config that I missed, or could someone confirm
> > > my problem?
> >
> > I'm seeing exactly the same on a DS5000/133 running the new MI scsi, which
> > apparently is not to blame according to above.
> >
> > My latest working kernel is from 19 Mar, and every attempt after that results
> > in the above.
>
> I have checked further, and the system seems otherwise unimpaired and
> the framebuffer does indeed still get initialised and output to when X is
> started (at least on my DS3100).
>
> Erik, does X work on your DS5000 normally that you could verify that an
> X server will start up and display?

Well I don't run X on this machine (it is placed in the basement), so I can't
tell right away whether X works or whether it works differently than a few
weeks ago.

However, in my case the machine does not boot fully. Some kernel messages
continue to come on the console once in a while (I don't recall which right
now). But apparently the machine has started rc processing, but not completed
it, as telnets to the machine gets 'connection refused' indicating that
IP is actually running on the ethernet, but inetd has not started.

I guess that I'll  have to weed  out elements from rc and friends to see
if anything here hangs...

- Erik