Subject: Re: booting from CD
To: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
From: None <mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 04/01/2000 14:22:46
well, I'm getting closer.  Either 'mksunbootcd' or the alpha 'installboot'
was stepping on the pmax boot stuff.  I didn't have luck with 'installboot
-i .....' on the pmax, so I decided to try a pmax only boot cd.  So I made
the iso image with "boot.pmax" and "netbsd.pmax" in the root directory,
then (on a 1.4.1 pmax) I did:

  installboot -v pmax.iso bootxx_cd9660

I got the installboot and bootxx_cd9660 from
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/pmax/snapshot/1999-12-06/binary/sets/base.tgz

Then when I tried to boot it (boot 3/rz6/netbsd.pmax), I got:

NetBSD/pmax 1.4P ISO 9660 Primary Bootstrap
>> NetBSD/pmax Secondary Boot, Revision 1.0
>> (root@vlad, Sat Mar 4 14:34:30 EST 2000)
Boot: 3/rz6/netbsd.pmax
rz6: no disklabel
open 3/rz6/netbsd.pmax: Device not configured

KN03-AA V5.1b.....

This is with a Sun Model 411 SCSI CD-ROM.  "cnfg 3" shows it as:
  CD-ROM CDU-8012  SONY  3.1a

Its on a DECstation 5000/240

I'll try later on a 5000/200, but don't have great hopes.

Any ideas?

Thanks
-Dan