Subject: Re: whee, it works.. sort of
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Toru Nishimura <nisimura@itc.aist-nara.ac.jp>
List: port-pmax
Date: 03/28/2000 12:02:48
> Whose bright idea was it to start using ugly sysV style rc.d directories??
> that is one of the most disgusting things i can think of!

Personally I feel regretful NetBSD has to accept /etc/rc.d/, however,
it has saner approach and cleaner design than {Kxx,Sxx}.boofoowoo which
EVERYONE hates.

> We've got
> clean, pure BSD style rc scripts, just the single /etc/rc and nothing more
> (from which anything we wish can run) and somehow people just dont like
> the simplicity? Am i the only one who thinks that going sysV-ish is a
> BACKWARDS move?

The original idea was solve dependency issues interlocked between
various subcompents in NetBSD.  It's particularily useful to add pkg
would require to change /etc/rc{.local} script.

> there is _no_ need to try to make BSD look like slo-laris
> or linux or any other popular systems. i though it was safe from the awful
> sysV-like world by using NetBSD!

Recognizing performace issue, some older hardware owners would abandon
to upgrade NetBSD into 1.5, I guess.

Tohru Nishimura