Subject: Re: whee, it works.. sort of
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Kevin Schoedel <schoedel@kw.igs.net>
List: port-pmax
Date: 03/22/2000 23:09:43
On 2000/03/22 at 6:51pm -0500, you wrote:
>The problem I'm having now is with speed. NetBSD on this DECstation
>5000/33 w/
>40M of RAM is slower than my DECstation 5000/25 w/ 16M of RAM running Ultrix
>4.3! Is this normal?

<aol>
Me too!
</aol>

I've had the feeling that something is slower than it ought to be. I
haven't mentioned it because I don't have any similar hard comparisons,
and haven't investigated, beyond trying to rule out any obvious problems.

My main home box is a 32M 5000/133 running 1.4.1; /, /usr, and home
directories on separate spindles. Doesn't normally swap. Interactive
response, including X, is fine (much better, in fact, than my
five-times-"faster" Mac); disk- and network- intensive things seem fine.

Slowness is most apparent when running scrips. For instance, my .profile,
when run under near-ideal conditions (idle box, when it's just been run,
and logging in induces no disk activity whatsoever), takes 30 seconds. On
the 'nearest' other box I have, a 40MHz 32M SparcStation 10, the same
.profile takes 3 seconds. Granted, the SS10 is a little faster, but it
certainly isn't *ten times* faster, and Solaris 2.7 isn't exactly lean
and mean.

--
Kevin Schoedel
schoedel@kw.igs.net