Subject: Re: Configuring a SEAGATE DAT tape drive
To: Dave Archer <dmarcher@pobox.com>
From: Yoseff Francus <francus@yossi.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 03/21/2000 20:02:42
Bingo, the -B option did the trick.

yf

Date:    Tue, 21 Mar 2000 18:58:04 EST
To:      Yoseff Francus <francus@yossi.com>
From:    Dave Archer <dmarcher@pobox.com>

Ah, what Jochen said in the message I see after yours is a good point.
By default, dump wants to switch tapes based on whatever the default
density is which is based on some really old tape format and is indeed
much much smaller than 2GB.  You'll want to set it to the theoretical
maximum or higher since you really just want dump to ignore how much
it's written to the tape and just change tapes when it hits an end of
tape.    I use -B4194304 ( 4*(1024^2) ).   I'm not sure why Jochen uses
a smaller number unless perhaps he's paranoid about the end of tape
which historically hasn't always worked too well or just figures he's
not going to get any compression out of the hardware.

Dave