Subject: Re: PMAG-E / General PX questions
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Toru Nishimura <nisimura@itc.aist-nara.ac.jp>
List: port-pmax
Date: 03/16/2000 14:31:19
For which I have answer at hand;

>    5.) I know this is the wrong place for it, but anyway: I had a PMAG-C
> and the PMAGB-B happily running DecWindows/OSF in multiscreen mode, very
> cool. When I reinstalled Ultrix, it said it installed the PXG X server and
> the TrueColor server, but I can't get the PMAG-E to show anything. I imagine
> this has to do with running two servers simultaneously. Since everything
> PMAG-C and lower is on one X server, and (presumably) the PXG's are another
> X server. Is it possible to run two X servers at the same time?

No, it's impossible.  Single Xserver capable of multiscreen must
handle whole hardwares.

>    6.) Is there enough doc's around to write PX/PXG's as dumb frame buffers
> for X?

It's impossible too.  PX product line is not designed as dumb
framebuffer.  Framebuffer memory can not accessible from CPU; it sits
behind 'graphics processor'; a common design mistake (ahem) of any
hardware accelerated graphics board.  Please note also that 3MAX has
smaller TURBOchannel slot address space which can not hold and map a
large framebuffer memory.

> While using the cool acceleration and 3D hardware would be nice,
> having it work on Ultrix with no software doesn't get me anywhere. At least
> NetBSD has some possibility of acceleration/3D at some point.

Obtaining SFB (PMAGB) or SFBplus (PMAGD) is a way to go.  3D gadgets
are proprietaries by nature, and any open software activity is hard
to exceed the original performace which the designers could achieve.

Tohru Nishimura