Subject: Re: NetBSD boot floppy
To: Ji Bae <jhb8@cornell.edu>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 02/28/2000 09:38:52
>     Hi.  I was wondering how one would go about creating a boot floppy for
> installing NetBSD.  I was looking at the install notes on the NetBSD
> site... it talks about how to write a disk image onto disk, but I noticed
> that the gunzipped version of diskimage.gz is over two megs, making it too
> large to fit on a floppy.  Any pointers?

I dunno if it is possible to boot a pmax from floppy.  The floppy on things
like the 5000 is not usable.  The 3100's sometimes had scsi floppies, but
I have not had any luck trying to boot anything off it.  The usual course
is to take a spare RZ23, and, from Ultrix or NetBSD, dd the diskimage to the
start of the hd.  Then, keep that HD for booting your machines.  I keep one
handy with the 1.4.2_Alpha boot and one with the the latest snapshot boot.
It works fine, but you have to find a spare small scsi disk to work from.
I find it a good use for the hordes of RZ23's that seem to sit on my spare
drive parts shelf, gathering dust.

Good Luck.

Bob