Subject: Re: Incorrectly determined root partition in latest kernel
From: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.msu.montana.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 02/23/2000 12:44:34
On Wed, 23 Feb 2000, NetBSD Mailing list wrote:

> FYI, booting is exhibited as: boot -f rz(0,0)/netbsd

  I think the current code only recogizes the rz(0,0,0) form, and it looks
like the previous code only accepted that form.  rz(0,0) shouldn't have
worked before, either.

> The patch for this now accomplishes the following:
>
> 	boot device: <unknown>
> 	root device:

  Well, I'm rather confused as to what's happening now.  I changed my
drive ID to 0, and the original code gives me <unknown> without my patch
as I would expect.

> Rather than risk damaging partitions, I'm reverting back to the 1.4S kernel
> and I shall await further suggestion.  I'll also re-sup, recheck the patches
> and make a clean kernel.  That'll be all day, so I'll have results tomorrow
> if no other recommendation is made.

  What version is your autoconf.c (just to make sure we are talking about
the same thing)?  The only other differences that come to mind is that I'm
using a GENERIC kernel (since I'm also testing the MI SCSI stuff on a
5000/25 with the same kernel), and yours is a custom kernel configuration.
I can't think of any thing in the kernel config file that might cause this
though.

--
Michael L. Hitch			mhitch@montana.edu
Computer Consultant