Subject: Re: Upgrading PROM version on 5000/240?
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Tribo <t1345@hopi.dtcc.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 02/21/2000 11:54:38
>  I believe the main PROM is on the baseboard, next to the ESAR chip, which
> is next to the easy to find RTC chip.  It's socketed and it has a white
> label with hexadecimal codes printed.  It's a reasonable location as there
> is the IOASIC chip nearby and it's IOASIC that drives CS of the PROM.

    Maybe tonight I can swap out MB's from my 5000/200 temporarily and see
what versions I have on my two spare 5000/240 boards, if they are different
might try swapping them. I don't want to bust my currently working system
though :)

>  I haven't seen a KN05 module but it's quite possible it provides a
> replacement PROM on the card -- it has to be driven by different ASICs
> than the R3k one and they may map the PROM space locally.

    That's interesting, does it have its own IOASIC on the module itself you
think?

    Anyone have a KN04 or KN05 R4k module they would sell/part with?

>  BTW, the PROMs might actually be Flash memories -- I have two similar
> PROMs, actually, and the one on my PMAG-CA option has it's sticker not
> centered and a characteristic Intel's "i" can be seen.  I can't actually
> recall Intel making any memories but Flash ones.  There is also an
> intriguing jumper between the PROM and the IOASIC (in the area of slot 0).
> This might be a Flash write enabler.  Any comments?
>
>   Maciej

    That would definetly be cool, that being the case, maybe its possible to
eliminate
all the tftp/mop booting problems. I seem to remember something in the test
list on the
Personal DECstations about eeproms. I saw that jumper too, I don't know what
it does
either. IIRC the 5000/200 has a jumper in that general vicinity as well.
(minus the
IOASIC of course, and no its not the NVRAM reset :-)
    I wonder if there are differences between the preinstalled cards and the
field installed
FB cards.
    Certainly peeks some interest.

    Chris