Subject: Re: Upgrading PROM version on 5000/240?
To: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
From: Maciej W. Rozycki <macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl>
List: port-pmax
Date: 02/21/2000 14:28:06
On Mon, 21 Feb 2000, Simon Burge wrote:

> No idea myself - I'll add it to the FAQ if anyone knows.  I _suspect_
> that the PROM might be on the CPU daughter board.  I _think_ we've
> replaced /240 boards with /260 boards and ended up with different PROM
> versions.  I haven't got any apart to double check this...

 I believe the main PROM is on the baseboard, next to the ESAR chip, which
is next to the easy to find RTC chip.  It's socketed and it has a white
label with hexadecimal codes printed.  It's a reasonable location as there
is the IOASIC chip nearby and it's IOASIC that drives CS of the PROM.

 I haven't seen a KN05 module but it's quite possible it provides a
replacement PROM on the card -- it has to be driven by different ASICs
than the R3k one and they may map the PROM space locally.

 BTW, the PROMs might actually be Flash memories -- I have two similar
PROMs, actually, and the one on my PMAG-CA option has it's sticker not
centered and a characteristic Intel's "i" can be seen.  I can't actually
recall Intel making any memories but Flash ones.  There is also an
intriguing jumper between the PROM and the IOASIC (in the area of slot 0).
This might be a Flash write enabler.  Any comments?

  Maciej