Subject: Re: netbooting a 5000/240 with 5.1b PROM :(
From: Chris Tribo <talon16m@hotmail.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 02/06/2000 10:04:31
on 2/6/00 9:33 AM, Ulrich Teichert at ut@netsurf.de wrote:

> Hi!
>
>>> What ethernet type is it on? Do you use an tranceiver? SQE *must*
>>> be switched on on an DECstation, else it will never attempt to get
>>> an connection.
>>
>> It's get a twisted-pair transceiver on the AUI port, which was previously
>> used on another machine so I know it works.
>>
>> I enabled SQE, but that doesn't seem to have changed the behavior any.
>
> OK, that rules it out quite well.
>
>> I see a flicker of activity on the MOP server; maybe my /tftpboot/mop
>> setup needs to be different for the pmax. What did yours look like?
>
> There's only the system file in my setup, all in caps:
>
> arbas:/tftpboot/mop> ll
> total 3169
> -r-xr-xr-x   1 root     root      3230496 Dec 30 01:05 IMEL.SYS*
>
> In /etc/hosts imel's IP is listed and I had to fiddle with arp and rarp,
> as I run linux on my boot server. Else there's nothing special.
>
> HTH,
> Uli

    Hmm, may I be so humble/stupid to ask where you got a PMAX mop boot
image? I wasn't aware that there was one. I don't see it in the netboot
install directory on the FTP server. Are you trying to use the VAX's MOP
image to boot your DECstation, because that won't work. If it is indeed a
pmax MOP image, would you be so kind as to send it to me or post it on the
NetBSD FTP server?
    Also, if arp -a shows client at (incomplete), you can try route delete
client, then arp -s client at E-net MAC address. I had to do that to boot
DECstation linux, for some reason it never looked up the HW address
correctly. Of course that might have something to do with the fact that I'm
running all AUI into a DELNI. (Don't knock it, it can handle 1.2MB/s and I'm
too cheap to buy Transceivers and a hub ;)
    I also appear to have an unusable 5000/240 motherboard here. It boots,
but I always get memory ECC errors on known good RAM chips. I'm not sure
where the PROM chip(s) are on this system. The only removable chips are the
CPU daughtercard, the Ethernet MAC address chip, a large boxy chip with Real
Time written on it (obviously the RTC, unless I'm reading it wrong), and a
small rectangular Intel chip in a ZIFF(?) socket with DEC and FX9337 020EB
written over the Intel junk. If its anywhere else I dunno. It always amazes
me how FEW chips are on the 5000/2(4,6)0 motherboard, especially compared to
the 5000/200 :) I'll be happy to swap PROM's if its doable.

        Chris