Subject: Re: bootable CD-ROM
To: None <mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
List: port-pmax
Date: 02/01/2000 19:28:38
mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu wrote:

> I know this topic has come up before but I can't find the answers....
>
> 1) Can NetBSD/pmax boot from CD-ROM?

Yes, either FFS or ISO.

> 2) If so, how does one make the bootable CD-ROM image?  I know how to make
>    iso9660 images but don't know about pmax boot stuff.

You run installboot on the ISO image - the man page has some
examples.  Note that this as a relatively recent addition for the pmax.
Technically, it just needs a block of 24 bytes near the start of the
first sector.

> 3) Anything special need to be done to the image to make it also bootable
>    by other arch's?

Ross Harvey would be the best to ask.  I'm not sure how to do the PeeCee
side, but you should be able to build an iso image, and run installboot
on the pmax, sparc and alpha in that order to add boot support for each.
Note the the pmax can put its bootblocks _in_ the ISO filesystem or at
the end of the image so that it co-exist easier with other archs.

> I'm compiling this info into a HOW-TO.  The work in progress is at
> http://www-mtl.mit.edu/~mcmahill/netbsd/bootcd.html
> Any comments/corrections would be greatly appreciated.

I saw the reference but haven't looked properly yet...  Ok, what's in
the pmax installboot(8) man page should almost plug in.  Lemme know
off-line if you want any more info.  For at least the alpha and pmax
cases it _should_ be possible to make an MI installboot thingy...

Thanks for doing this - my previous attempt to get info on bootable
CD's for all archs fell flat on it's face when _noone_ volunteered
any info :-(

Simon.