Subject: bootpd/inetd/tftp Troubles
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Tribo <t1345@apache.dtcc.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 01/28/2000 12:53:14
on 1/28/00 9:37 AM, Philip Tait at Philip.Tait@phxase.allied.com wrote:

> I have this down to a routine.  Comment-out the bootp line in
> /etc/inetd.conf, then kill -HUP {inetd-pid}.  Run bootpd from the coment
line
> with a high debug number, e.g. 'bootpd -d 9'.  Some 'bootpd's need the
'-s'
> switch for standalone operation.  You should get good diagnostic
information
> in syslog.  (This is from years of running X-terminals at this site!)

    OK, I took bootp out of inetd.conf. When I try and invoke it form the
command line I get: Can not get my IP address. Syslog only
says: date/time...bootpd[pid]: version 2.4.1. I assume it dies when it
can't find its IP. Could this be an IP v.6ish issue? I checked my ifconfig
statement and I get this:

le0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu
1500
    media: Ethernet manual
    status: active
    inet 192.168.1.16 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.1.255
ifconfig: SIOCGIFNETMASK_IN6: Invalid argument
ifconfig: SIOCGIFAFLAG_IN6: Invalid argument
    inet6 fe80:1::a00:2bff:fe39:c4bb

    I haven't figured out this whole IP v6 thing yet. I have no problems
with telnet or ftp to and from this box, so I don't see how bootp can't
find its own IP address.

    Chris